Tags: seo, xml sitemap, google search, open graph, schema.org, twitter card, performance
Requires at least: 4.9.0
Tested up to: 5.3
Requires PHP: 5.6.0
Stable tag: 4.0.4
License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
Purely professional, feature-complete, and the ad-free WordPress SEO plugin. Secure, fast, automated, and white-hat SEO. Do less; get better results.
== Description ==
**The only feature-complete SEO plugin that follows the white-hat guidelines and rules imposed by WordPress and search engines.**
Start using proven methods to optimize your website for SEO. Simple, dedicated, extensible, unrestricted, ad-free, and no strings attached.
To top it off, this is the fastest full-featured SEO plugin, and it blends right into your WordPress website, without leaving you in the dark.
It's easy to get started. Activate this plugin, and your site's already protected against prominent SEO attacks. The SEO Framework will also prefill all critical meta tags for you. A real time-saver. Ingenious.
[Migrate](https://theseoframework.com/?p=511) | [Setup](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2428) | [Improve](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2663) | [Extensions](https://theseoframework.com/extensions/) | [API](https://theseoframework.com/?p=82) | [Privacy](https://theseoframework.com/?p=1701#pluginprivacyinformation)
= We poured over 16,000 hours into this plugin. Here are the results: =
* **It is brilliant.**
The SEO Framework is an [expert system](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system) for SEO. It is the only solution that can intelligently generate critical SEO meta tags in any language by reading your WordPress environment. This automation saves you a considerable amount of time that could be used to write more content or focus on other tasks. It also removes the need for advanced SEO knowledge.
* **It comes preconfigured.**
With The SEO Framework, we provide an excellent starting point for your website by rationally optimizing all your pages. Naturally, you can also tweak it however you like. If you're not an SEO expert, learn what you may wish to optimize in our [Setup guide](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2428).
* **It helps you optimize your metadata.**
We made the only SEO plugin that follows Google's webmaster guidelines to the letter. It took years of research and tweaking to translate this well inside your WordPress interface. Finally, you can freely optimize your pages without having to worry about making critical mistakes.
* **It creates a beautiful overview.**
On your post overview pages, you'll find color-coded guidelines. They suggest you how to improve your pages as you hover over them with your mouse. For example, when your titles are unbranded or when WordPress blocks indexing. Instinctively, touch-and keyboard navigation is also supported.
* **It includes exceptional support.**
We don't outsource our support. We're here for you. Feel free to drop by [our support forums](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/autodescription/) at any time to ask a question. More than 1400 inquiries have been answered personally, typically within 48 hours in the past five years.
* **It leaves no room for errors.**
We focus on the quality of features you need over the quantity on features you don't. This trait makes this plugin unique, faster, more accurate, nearly bug-free, and more sustainable. The added benefit is that your site is unlikely to get penalized by search engines. We won't steer you into writing unnatural content or allow you to trick search engines.
* **It remains genuine and pure.**
We built The SEO Framework for small to large corporations and enterprises. The interface is entirely accessible and seamlessly integrates within your dashboard. Therefore, interacting with this plugin feels natural. It might feel dull, but your WordPress dashboard shouldn't be a billboard for our branding. We won't ever change this.
* **It improves search presence.**
The SEO Framework ranks your website distinctively by enabling breadcrumbs for Google Search, and by automatically generating titles and descriptions according to Google's guidelines. It also notifies Google, Bing, and all connected search networks automatically of your website's changes with its built-in sitemap.
* **It makes social sharing easy.**
The SEO Framework automatically supports and allows you to further tailor the Open Graph, Facebook, and Twitter Cards protocols. It helps your posts stand out when they're shared on various social networks, including Pinterest, Discord, and Whatsapp.
* **It feels more than accessible.**
We handpicked our color scheme so that people with any medically recognized color-vision deficiency can distinguish the guidelines set by search engines. We also implemented full keyboard-navigation and screen-reader support.
* **It protects you from mistakes.**
The SEO Framework steers you from making significant and common SEO mistakes. It leaves little room for you to mess up because the plugin already does everything SEO for you. For example, it automatically prevents duplicated content mistakes by enforcing strict canonical rules.
* **It follows best-practices and beyond.**
The biggest problems with WordPress plugins are security and compatibility. As part-time security researchers, we focus on making this plugin impenetrable. The SEO Framework also uses WordPress' API whenever possible, making this plugin integrate neatly with every other plugin written with that in mind.
* **It has developers at heart.**
We encourage other developers to enhance and add functionality to this plugin. We've done so ourselves, already, with our [extensions](https://theseoframework.com/extensions/). Check out [our API](https://theseoframework.com/?p=82), and feel free to [contribute](https://tsf.fyi/contributing)!
* **It respects your privacy.**
= Getting started =
* Used another plugin? Easily [migrate your SEO data](https://theseoframework.com/?p=511).
* Need a helping hand getting started? Read our [quick setup guide](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2428).
* Want to improve your pages? Learn how to [optimize your metadata](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2663).
= Do more with extensions =
For additional functionality, check out our free companion plugin [Extension Manager](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2760). It provides numerous free and paid extensions, such as:
* [Local](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2306) lets you set up **important local business information** for search engines to consume.
* [Focus](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2305) guides you through the process of writing targeted content that ranks with **focus keywords**, and for Premium users also their inflections and synonyms.
* [Articles](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2303) **enhances your published posts** by automatically adding important Structured Data.
* [Honeypot](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2300) **catches comment spammers** through four lightweight yet powerful ways.
* [AMP](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2304) **binds The SEO Framework to the AMP plugin** for AMP supported articles and pages.
* [Monitor](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2302) **keeps track of your website's SEO** optimizations and statistics.
* [Incognito](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2301) **hides all development-comments** from The SEO Framework.
* [Origin](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2299) **redirects attachment-page visitors** back to the parent post.
* [Title Fix](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2298) makes sure your **title output is as configured**. Even if your theme is doing it wrong.
Visit our [extensions overview page](https://theseoframework.com/extensions/) for more information.
= Unbranded, free and for the professionals =
The SEO Framework is a uniquely white label plugin that blends seamlessly into your WordPress dashboard. This means that we don't even put the name "The SEO Framework" anywhere within your WordPress interface. No ads, no nags. Nobody has to know about the tools you've used to create your website. Note that we output standardized development-comments distinguishing the plugin output in source code. You can remove these with our free [Incognito extension](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2301).
= Behind the screens =
The SEO Framework works on many things without notifying you, because the best software should save you precious time. Here are a few things it does behind the screens.
* It prevents canonical errors for categories, pages, subdomains, and WordPress Multisite domain mapping.
* It stops SEO attacks that are caused by pagination exploits in WordPress by telling the search engine to look at the existing last page instead.
* It discourages 404 pages and empty categories from being indexed, even when they don't send a 404 response.
* It automatically notifies Google and the Bing network on website updates when sitemaps are enabled.
* It discourages search engines from indexing feeds and the sitemap. This doesn't mean they won't use them, they only won't show them in their search results.
* It directs search engines from the comment pages back to the post holding those comments.
= Compatibility =
**The SEO Framework supports:**
* PHP 5.6 and higher.
* WordPress 4.9 and higher.
* Internationalization through WordPress.org.
* UTF-8 character recognition and rendering, including Emoji and CJK.
* Right to Left (RTL) languages, through its interface and generation.
* Extended color-vision deficiency accessibility.
* Better screen-reader accessibility via ARIA labels and title attributes.
* Full keyboard navigation.
* WordPress Multisite setups, this plugin is in fact built upon one.
* Detection of robots.txt and sitemap.xml files.
* Output of structured data via Schema.org JSON-LD scripts.
* Detection of various other SEO tools to help you switch graciously.
* Translation plugins like WPML, Polylang, WPGlobus, and MultilingualPress.
* Ecommerce plugins, like WooCommerce and EDD.
= Copyright legislation notice =
In a few words: The SEO Framework allows search engines to do what they've been doing for the past 20 years.
When you activate The SEO Framework on any site, you automatically grant rights to content aggregators, among which are Google, Bing, and Yandex, to obtain and use information from the site, including written work, images, audio, and video. You can control these rights via the robots-meta settings brought by this plugin. Your rights and the effectiveness of these settings are subject to the region and language of your website, and the physical or virtual origin of the platform and their potential users through which your website's information is obtained and shared. It is up to the aggregator to honor your rights and the requests brought via The SEO Framework.
If you wish to learn more, please refer to the website of the [EU commission on copyright](https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/modernisation-eu-copyright-rules). These rulings may propagate its effects through regions outside the EU.
== Installation ==
= This plugin requires: =
* PHP 5.6 or higher.
* WordPress 4.9 or higher.
* Any modern browser for administration.
= Installation instructions: =
1. Install **The SEO Framework** either via your WordPress dashboard using search or by uploading the files to your server.
1. Either network-activate this plugin or activate it on a single site.
1. That's it! The plugin now optimizes your website for SEO. It also protects your website against SEO attacks.
= This plugin auto-configures its global settings =
However, it would be best if you read up on our [plugin setup guide](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2428) to get the most out of The SEO Framework.
= This plugin auto-configures SEO meta settings =
However, you may want to read up on our [page improvement guide](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2663) to learn how you can optimize your pages.
= Get more SEO power =
Optionally, also install our free [Extension Manager](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2760) plugin for additional SEO solutions.
== Screenshots ==
1. The SEO Framework shows you how your site is performing, at a glance. These are what we call the SEO Bar.
2. Hover over, tap on, or focus any SEO Bar item and it will tell you what's asserted from your environment.
3. The SEO meta box is displayed on all pages. It's everything you need. Here you can see the pixel counters.
4. These SEO settings are shown on the term edit screen. It seamlessly blends into your WordPress interface.
5. The SEO settings page of The SEO Framework. Every setting is explained thoroughly. You're in full control.
== Frequently Asked Questions ==
= Is The SEO Framework free? =
Absolutely! It will stay free as well, without ads or nags!
This plugin is all-inclusive. It's 100% freeware; not crippleware.
= Is there a premium version? =
No. We treat this plugin as a premium plugin already.
However, we do offer many free and paid extensions that help support this free plugin. We provide these via our free [Extension Manager plugin](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2760).
= I have a feature request, a question, or found a bug. =
Please visit [the support forums](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/autodescription) and kindly tell us about it.
We'll try to get back to you within 72 hours. Typically, we reply within a day.
= I am a developer; how can I help? =
Any input is much appreciated, and everything will be considered.
Please visit the [GitHub project page](https://github.com/sybrew/the-seo-framework) to submit issues or even pull requests.
Learn more [about contributing](https://tsf.fyi/contributing).
= What do the colors tell me? =
We use different colors to convey messages. Red is an error that you must resolve. Yellow is a non-critical warning that you may want to address. Green is good. Blue is informational and situational.
= The sitemap doesn't contain categories, images, et al. =
Not having every single page listed is not an issue. Search engines love crawling WordPress because its structure is consistent and well known.
If a visitor can't find a page, then why would a search engine? Don't rely on your sitemap, but on your content and website's usability.
Check out our [Extension Manager](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2760). It brings extensions, like [Articles](https://theseoframework.com/?p=2303), that fill in the gaps via modern and more robust means.
= The sitemap contains unwanted links. =
The SEO Framework takes all publicly queryable posts, pages, and CPT and puts them in the sitemap.
If you don't want a page in the sitemap, consider enabling the `noindex` option for it. This will also remove the page from search engine result pages.
If the link shouldn't be in the sitemap because it's meant for structural reasons, then inform the plugin or theme author that created them.
You should tell the author to check out the "`public` and `rewrite` post type arguments." The plugin or theme author should know what that means.
In the meantime, you can disable SEO for the unwanted entries via the "General SEO Settings," under "Post Types."
= What do the application/ld+json scripts do? =
The JSON-LD scripts are search engine helpers which tell search engines how to connect and index the site. We do this via the Schema.org standard.
They can tell the search engine if your site contains an internal search engine, which social sites you're connected to, and what page structure you're using. This is also referred to as **structured data**.
= I don't see the breadcrumbs! =
The SEO Framework does not provide the display of breadcrumbs. This is theme-territory. This plugin only annotates them for search engines via a JSON-LD script.
If you wish to display breadcrumbs, then your theme should provide this. Alternatively, there are [other plugins](https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/breadcrumbs/) that help you do this.
== Changelog ==
= 4.0.4 =
WordPress 5.3 has a [bug](https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48623) where the timezone set in PHP is taken into account when creating permalinks. Since this bug can cause canonical URLs with dates to point to a nonexistent page, we're sending out this patch where TSF sets the timezone to flat UTC for its front-end generation.
The proper fix in WordPress 5.3.1 is due in about three weeks from now, after which we'll consider reverting [these changes](https://theseoframework.com/?p=3390#detailed).
= 4.0.3 =
Google Search has a new bug in their parser, which causes pages to be deindexed unintentionally when a specific combination of robots-settings are used. To work around this bug, we changed how the recently introduced copyright directive settings work.
For more information, see our KB entry on why the [Maximum Image Preview Size setting may now be ignored](https://kb.theseoframework.com/?p=82).
We also fixed three bugs and added [minor improvements](https://theseoframework.com/?p=3379#detailed).
= 4.0.2 =
France recently amended its [copyright laws](https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/eli/loi/2019/7/24/MICX1902858L/jo/texte). In short, in France, it's now forbidden for content aggregators to display excerpts and previews of your content when no consent is given.
To accommodate those laws, [Google will soon look for new directives](https://france.googleblog.com/2019/09/comment-nous-respectons-le-droit-dauteur.html), and we added new site-wide options to output those. These new options are disabled (unspecified) by default when you update The SEO Framework, but they are enabled (some access) by default when you install The SEO Framework on a new site. Please see [this issue](https://github.com/sybrew/the-seo-framework/issues/480) for our take on this.
In this update, we also fixed a few bugs and added [various improvements](https://theseoframework.com/?p=3344#detailed).
= 4.0.1 =
Thank you for trusting us by upgrading to TSF 4.0.0 earlier! We've received many warm and welcoming responses, and we're very grateful.
Even though we churned 40% of the code, we only confirmed two bugs in that update. This minor update [addresses those bugs](https://theseoframework.com/?p=3308).
Our users reported some admin scripting issues when updating from v3.2.4 to v4.0. These issues are out of our reach, and we provided several solutions [in this post](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/4-0-admin-interface-not-loading-correctly/).
= 4.0.0 - Multiplex =
*It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - [J.K. Rowling](https://www.jkrowling.com/book/harry-potter-chamber-secrets/)*
* September 9th, 2019
We wrote a [foreword on 4.0](https://theseoframework.com/about/an-introduction-to-a-thousand-changes/). It's a story on our efforts making this update, and why we're exhilarated bringing you this update... finally.
* We completely refactored the plugin without losing features. This is the fastest full-featured SEO plugin for WordPress... by far.
* You can now use quick & bulk editing options. They blend perfectly into the interface of WordPress.
* Now, there are more term options, including redirects and canonical URLs.
* Want to enable indexing for just one page? Now you can, with qubit robots options.
* The SEO Bar is completely rewritten. It now lists the issues found so you can easily see what requires attention.
* The sitemap is also new. It lists your pages more intelligently, making it easier for search engines to find your latest updates.
* The character and pixel guidelines can now change depending on your site language.
* Full keyboard navigation support is now possible for tooltips. The tooltips now also adjust their size intelligently, so they won't ever fall out of your browser window.
* ...and more than 1000 other noteworthy changes, found in the [detailed log](https://theseoframework.com/?p=3268#detailed).
**Environment upgrade notes**
* PHP 5.4 and PHP 5.5 support has been dropped. Here's why:
* PHP 5.5 hasn't received updates for [over 3 years](https://www.php.net/eol.php) and using it brings a significant security risk to your website.
* Using PHP 5.6 lowers our time spent on maintenance, and it increases our productivity; so, we can focus on faster, better, and more useful solutions.
* WordPress no longer supports PHP versions lower than 5.6 since WordPress 5.2. They, too, finally realize we need to move on.
* Learn more about [Upgrading PHP](https://wordpress.org/support/update-php/).
* WordPress 4.6 through 4.8 support has been dropped. Here's why:
* [More than 75% of all WordPress sites](https://wordpress.org/about/stats/) are using version 4.9 or later.
* The API changes between WordPress versions are massive. We can't support older versions reliably.
* Although we wanted to move to WordPress 5.0 or later, many users have opted out because of conflicting interests--to put it lightly. Keep your site updated, and use the [Classic Editor plugin](https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/) if you really can't stand the block editor.
_If, for any reason, you still wish to use PHP 5.4/5.5 and/or WordPress 4.6/4.7/4.8, [The SEO Framework 3.2.4](https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/autodescription.3.2.4.zip) still supports them._
**Share your love!**
We hope you'll love this update as much as we do. Please consider sharing it with the world, by giving us [an awesome review](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/autodescription/reviews/#new-topic-0)! We read every one of them. Thanks!
Let's go the extra mile; or [1,609.347 meters](https://theseoframework.com/?p=3268#detailed).
= Full changelog =
* **The full changelog can be found [here](http://theseoframework.com/?cat=2).**
== Upgrade Notice ==
= 4.0.0 =
The v4.0.0 update brings a major upgrade. Make a backup of your database before updating. WordPress v4.9 (or higher) and PHP v5.6 (or higher) are now required. If you use the Extension Manager, update it to v2.1.0 (or higher) before updating this plugin. Downgrading to v3.2.4 is possible, however with the caveat that the homepage title may flip its output order back.
= 3.1.1 =
This is a major upgrade. Make a backup of your database before upgrading. WordPress v4.6 (or greater) and PHP v5.4 (or greater) are now required. If you use the Extension Manager, update it to v1.5.2 (or greater) before upgrading this plugin. Downgrading to v3.0.6 possible.
= 3.0.0 =
A major update. Make a backup of your database before upgrading.
= 2.8.0 =
In the 2.8.0 update, WordPress 4.3 and PHP 5.2 support have been dropped for better code quality.
= 2.7.0 =
The 2.7.0 update is required for the upcoming Extension Manager plugin and includes many improvements.
== Other Notes ==
This simple plugin permanently redirects all 404's to the main blog URL.
Add an SVG image captcha and honeypot to your contact form 7 form.
A light-weight plugin which will remove the advertisement HTML comments co...
Let we say that you have been told to add some custom code (HTML, JavaScrip...
WordPress, Github, Docker, Jenkins, and Watchtower. We will need to use the...
Advanced SEO can get very technical, however there are a few fundamentals y...