Contributors: maxfoundry, basszje, arcware, johnbhartley
Tags: wordpress button plugin, share button, wordpress buttons, css3 button generator, responsive buttons, css wordpress button
Requires at least: 4.8
Tested up to: 5.3
Requires PHP: 5.6
Stable tag: 7.13.4
WordPress button plugin so powerful and easy to use anyone can create beautiful buttons, share buttons and social icons.
== Description ==
[MaxButtons](https://maxbuttons.com/?utm_source=repowp1&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=mbr_maxbuttons&utm_campaign=mbr_maxbuttons) is a powerful WordPress button, share button and social icon plugin. Create great looking CSS3 WordPress buttons in a minute. Easy to understand. Our button editor with live preview makes it a snap to generate awesome responsive buttons in very little time. The social share buttons and social icon features allow you to add social options to your website in minutes.
MaxButtons [WordPress button plugin](https://www.maxbuttons.com/#CSS3/?utm_source=repowbp&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=wordpress_button_plugin&utm_campaign=repowbp) has been going strong for over 6 years and was the first button plugin for WordPress. MaxButtons has earned over 700 5-star reviews and over 1.5 million downloads. Here are couple of our favorites:
> “The best plugin of its kind” - by celito
> “This plugin makes creating buttons sooooo easy.” - by ncrocker202
> Why aren’t all plugins like this?!?
MaxButtons easily solved my problem with lots of options when creating the button and a live view of what it was going to look like. It would have done the job for me there and then but being able to adjust the text AND link with shortcodes on my page made modifications a breeze. - by discgosforth
> “Easy, clear, and robust. I'm a programmer and can write CSS till the cows come home, but why? Just get it, install it and use it. Then, when you're impressed, buy the pro version” - by jleahy
Max Foundry also makes the WordPress Gallery plugin [MaxGalleria](https://maxgalleria.com) and [WordPress Media Folders](https://maxgalleria.com/downloads/media-library-plus-pro/) plugin for real WordPress Media Library folders and [Welcome Mat Pro](https://welcomemat.io).
= Requirements =
* Wordpress installed
* PHP 5.6
= WordPress Buttons =
* [Create WordPress Buttons](https://maxbuttons.com/create-wordpress-button/?utm_source=repocreate&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=how-to-create&utm_campaign=repocreate)
* Getting [Social Icons](https://maxbuttons.com/wordpress-share-buttons/?utm_source=repoicons1&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=social_sharing&utm_campaign=repoicons1) on your WordPress site.
* [Share Buttons](http://wordpress.org/plugins/share-button/) on your WordPress site.
* [WordPress button](https://maxbuttons.com/product-category/button-packs/?utm_source=repolibs&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=button_pack&utm_campaign=repolibs) library and button sets can make my designers and developers more productive.
= MaxButtons =
* No coding, the plugin takes care of everything
* Button shortcodes for ease of use
* Create unlimited number of buttons
* Live preview window instantly updates as you customize your buttons
* Color picker for unlimited color combinations
* Works with all modern browsers, degrades gracefully for others
* Fully CSS3 compliant with text shadowing, box shadowing, gradients, etc.
* Copy an existing button to use as starting point for others
* See your buttons on different color backgrounds
* Predefined defaults make getting started super easy
* SiteOrigin Page Builder integration through the SiteOrigin Widget Bundle
* Supports Shortcake plugin to see your buttons in your editor!
= Share Buttons =
MaxButtons has a [share buttons addon](https://maxbuttons.com/?utm_source=repobestss&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=best_social_share&utm_campaign=repobestss) that includes 7 beautifully designed share button sets for the following social networks:
Plus email and print icons.
= Social Icons =
In addition to promoting your content through MaxButtons share buttons you can also use share buttons to promote your social network profiles. Simply select a social icon or make a button, include the link to your profile and post the button shortcode on your page. Social icons are easy with MaxButtons!
= MaxButtons Pro =
Take your buttons to the next level with [MaxButtons Pro](https://www.maxbuttons.com/pricing/?utm_source=repombp&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=MBPro&utm_campaign=repombp)!
Our premium WordPress plugin for buttons, share buttons and social icons brings you the [best WordPress button plugin](https://maxbuttons.com/?utm_source=mprepo&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=best_css3_button&utm_campaign=repobestcss3) through continuous feature updating. Upgrading to the Pro version allows you to add icons and images to your custom WordPress buttons. The Pro features allow you to do so much more!
* **Icon Support** - Add icons and images to your buttons and customize placement and size.
* **Multi-line text** - Add a second line of text and stylize with font, size and placement.
* **Google Fonts** - We have included the entire set to help your buttons stand out with beautiful typography.
* **Button Packs** - Ready to use, value priced button sets that make any site good great.
* **Google Analytics** [Event Tracking for WordPress Buttons](https://maxbuttons.com/google-analytics-event-tracking/). The best way to see you users’ interactions with buttons in Google Analytics. No coding needed.
* **Import/Export** - Useful for backing up and/or moving your buttons. Also, use any of the great free icons listed on our site.
* Include images in buttons.
* **Button Search** - for easier management of large button sets.
* **Font Awesome 5** - Largest icon collection, fastest served
* **Visual Composer** - Integrated with Visual Composer
* **Contact Form 7** Integration
* **Beaver Builder** Integration
* **Easy Digital Downloads** Purchase and Checkout Button Integration
= WordPress Button Sets =
In addition to the Basic Buttons and free button packs included with MaxButtons Pro you can also purchase additional professionally designed, production ready button packs from the largest [WordPress button](http://maxbuttons.com/product-category/button-packs/?utm_source=reposets1&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=buttonsets1&utm_campaign=reposets1) library in existence. The library features more than 6,000 buttons. It is the largest WordPress button library in the known universe.
[Wordpress button sets](https://maxbuttons.com/product-category/button-packs/?utm_source=reposets&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=button_pack&utm_campaign=reposets) make designers and developers much more productive.
= Free Icons =
You can use free icons when you create your buttons with MaxButtons Pro so we’ve built one of the largest libraries to inspire you and make your buttons really stand out.
= Button Shortcode =
1. Click the MaxButtons page from the admin menu.
1. Click the Add New button.
1. Create and customize your button using the button editor.
1. Fill out and select the options needed to build your button.
1. Once you're ready, click Save.
1. A [button shortcode](http://maxbuttons.com/button-shortcode/?utm_source=reposhort&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=reposhort&utm_campaign=reposhort) will be generated (ex: [maxbutton id="17"] or [maxbutton name="My Button Name"]).
1. Use the shortcode anywhere in your content and the button will appear.
You can also pass the button text and URL as parameters in the [button shortcode](http://maxbuttons.com/button-shortcode/?utm_source=reposhort2&utm_medium=mbrepo&utm_content=reposhort2&utm_campaign=reposhort2), giving you even greater flexibility. For example, if you want to create a set of buttons that look exactly the same, except for the text and URL, you could do something like this:
[maxbutton id="17" text="Search Google" url="http://google.com"]
[maxbutton name="MaxButtons Button Name" text="Search Yahoo" url="http://yahoo.com"]
Another parameter you can give the shortcode is window, which tells the button whether or not to open the URL in a new window (by default the button opens the URL in the current window). To do so you always give the window parameter the value "new", shown below. Anything else will open the button URL in the current window.
[maxbutton id="17" window="new"]
You can also use the nofollow parameter, which will add a rel="nofollow" attribute to the button when set to true, as shown below (the default is false):
[maxbutton id="17" nofollow="true"]
NOTE: Passing parameters to the shortcode overrides those settings saved as part of the button.
= Support =
We work hard to give timely support during the week. And we give support when we're on during the weekend.
**MaxButtons. Bringing the #buttonlove!**
== Installation ==
For automatic installation:
1. Login to your website and go to the Plugins section of your admin panel.
1. Click the Add New button.
1. Under Install Plugins, click the Upload link.
1. Select the plugin zip file from your computer then click the Install Now button.
1. You should see a message stating that the plugin was installed successfully.
1. Click the Activate Plugin link.
For manual installation:
1. You should have access to the server where WordPress is installed. If you don't, see your system administrator.
1. Copy the plugin zip file up to your server and unzip it somewhere on the file system.
1. Copy the "maxbuttons" folder into the /wp-content/plugins directory of your WordPress installation.
1. Login to your website and go to the Plugins section of your admin panel.
1. Look for "MaxButtons" and click Activate.
== Screenshots ==
1. Button overview - Everything in one view
2. Button editor - Your own look and feel
3. Amazing color options
4. Social sharing - Unleash the power of the social networks
5. Simple but powerful options
6. Clear and fast output.
== Frequently Asked Questions ==
= Do I have to copy a button if I want to have a different text or link? =
No. The shortcode enables you to change various items on the button including the text and link. It's better to create a single button and reuse it.
To change text and link :
[maxbutton id="1" text="yourtext" url="http://yoururl"]
If you only want to change one of the two, just leave the not needed option out.
Most often used options:
[maxbutton id="1" text="yourtext" url="http://yoururl" window="new" nofollow="true"]
You should *never* copy buttons if you only have a different line of text and / or link on any button. You can use the 'add button' dialog from your posts and pages to easily use this options
= How do I use the shortcode in a sidebar/widget? =
Simply add the button shortcode to your widget (ex: [maxbutton id="17"] or [maxbutton name="MaxButtons Button Name"]). If the styling is missing on the widget, try to check the 'use important' checkbox under 'advanced' settings.
= How can I add the shortcode to my post/page template? =
Simply add this code snippet to any of your theme template files:
= Can't see styling on the frontpage =
Sometimes the button styling doesn't load on the frontpage. There are usually two major reasons:
* Theme doesn't have proper footer, check if wp_footer() is called in the theme
* Using MaxButtons with sliders, dynamic page loaders (such a parallax and one-page themes ) or caching mechanisms.
First ensure you have cleared all your caches. Then you can try to add the following to your shortcode: [maxbutton id=1 style="inline"] ( replace the ID with the number of your button ).
= TablePress and MaxButtons =
TablePress uses a caching mechanism which prevents the MaxButtons style design from functioning. To solve this problem, simply add the caching option to the shortcode like this: `[table id=123 cache_table_output=false]` . See this [support topic on TablePress](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/maxbuttons-css-stopped-working-in-tablepress?replies=6).
A solution which will keep the cache enabled is to use this in your shortcode: [maxbutton id=1 style="inline"] . Flush the TablePress cache after adding this.
= Part of my button is cutoff, how do I fix that? =
Try enabling the container and setting its margin options. You could also fix this manually by surrounding your button shortcode with a div element with margins. For example:
Then adjust the margin values as needed (the order is: top, right, bottom, left).
= How do I center the button on a page? =
Enable the "Wrap with Center Div" option in the Container settings.
= How do I align multiple buttons next to each other? =
Enable the container option and set the alignment property to either "display: inline-block" or "float: left". You might also want to add some margin values to put some spacing between your buttons. If that doesn't work, try using a simple HTML table:
|[maxbutton id="1"]||[maxbutton id="2"]||[maxbutton id="3"]|
= How do I display a MaxButton in a WordPress menu? =
By default WordPress can't display shortcodes in a menu. You can use this [plugin](https://wordpress.org/plugins/shortcode-in-menus/) to allow shortcodes in a menu. Just copy the MaxButton shortcode in the menu after installing
= How do I display a MaxButton in a slider? =
This depends on the slider plugin you are using. Most of the well-known ones are allowing the use of shortcodes within the slides. To find out if your plugin can handle that, please ask the slider vendor.
= I use Autoptimize with MaxButtons =
If you use Autoptimize plugin and see weird result, try to load the pageby adding ?ao_noptimize=1 to the URL. If the buttons load normally then the issue is with Autoptimize. You can enter an exclusion for .maxbutton in the CSS exclusions.
= Non-Latin language users =
The plugin works with users of non-lating languages with a few exceptions. First, the character set of the Database Table should be in UTF-8. If you see '????' characters in the plugin, go to Settings -> Advanced. There is a button to set the tabel to UTF-8
Secondly, please use latin only characters for button name ( Basic settings) and extra classes ( Advanced settings ). Not doing so might prevent the styling output from working correctly.
== Changelog ==
= 7.13.4 =
* Updated ScssPhp to 1.0.7
* Updated SimpleHTMLDom to 1.9.1
* Fixed Buttons menu tab
= 7.13.3 =
* Fixed - relative require_once include, sometimes this crashes.
* Fixed - Catching error when directoryIterator fails
= 7.13.2 =
* Tested WP 5.3
* Fixed - Removed comment that caused a warning for some users.
* Fixed - Another fix for trash view.
= 7.13.1 =
* Fixed - Wrong redirect on copy / move to trash actions.
= 7.13 =
* Updates to code base
* Fixed - Small bug in Gutenberg regarding text fields
* Fixed - Zero-width space (Unicode Character) could disturb URL output.
= 7.12 =
* Fixed - Certain external admin notices overlapping on overview page
* Fixed - Notice button_id when during copy / restore on the overview page
= 7.11 =
* New - Support for transparency.
* New - On button save tries to flush cache for popular caching engines: WordPress, wp-super-cache, WP Engine, Total W3TC, WPFastestCache
* New - When using TablePress, buttons automatically load style inside the table due to caching.
* New - Option to remove all buttons in trash
* Fix - Action in button overview now keep paging in tact.
* Fix - PHP notice when dismissing review question.
= 7.10 =
* New - Button overview lists last date when button was updated
* Fix - Updated pagination in button picker popup
* Fix - Updated styling and exceptions on button paging ( overview )
* Update - Gutenberg block now can set CSS to inline
* Update - PHP minimum version now 5.6, matching WordPress.
* Fix - Help text mistake in Gutenberg
* New - Better support for RTL lanuages ( hopefully )
= 7.9 =
* Fix - Setting on 'border-box' now also being applied in the admin button list.
* Fix - Color picker sometimes jumping to top of page
* New - All shortcode options available in Gutenberg
* Tweak - Help texts and added clarification
* Tweak - Styling of help text
* Tweak - Updates to the preview scripting
* Tweak - Button dialog styling improvements
* Fix - Pseudo-elements in main button class now in correct order
= 7.8 =
* Fix - Crashes on PHP 7.3 due to simple HTML DOM library
* Tweak - If no Box Shadow is defined, it's not set on the MaxButton.
* Fix - Box shadow with only spread now works and properly removes values from stylesheet
* Fix - Box shadow blur minimum is now zero
* Fix - Gradient stop field hidden when gradient option is off
= 7.7 =
* Tweak - Warning when button name is duplicate
* Tweak - Removed unused action hooks in field
= 7.6 =
* Fix - Saving buttons in Gutenberg block
* Fix - Extra classes could conflict with styling in certain situations
* Fix - Removed requirements for any user roles in adding buttons to content
* Fix - Icon in Gutenberg classic block
* Fix - Activation check could trigger notices when missing database table fields
* Fix - Bug when using Siteorigins in Widgets area
* Removed - Shortcake Font Awesome reference
= 7.5.2 =
* Fix - Further fixes for TinyMCE while being loaded out of WP-editor context.
* Fix - Hide 'add button' setting now also doesn't show Tinymce button
= 7.5.1 =
* Fix - Error when loading tinymce button resulted in crash for some users (PHP 5.3)
= 7.5 =
* New - Support for Gutenberg
* New - Button icon in TinyMCE interface
* Fixed - False positive compatibility notice for PHP 7.x
* Tweak - Prevents certain events from loading twice (performance)
= 7.4.1 =
* Fixed notice in 7.2 when button not found in Database
* Updated buy PRO page
= 7.4 =
* Fixed grammar
* Removed unused code
= 7.3.1 =
* Fix - Issue with Link Picker styling / picker not always working properly
= 7.3 =
* Link picker - Easier way of selecting links to your content
* Updated parser SCSSPHP to version 0.7.5
* Fixed - Issue with modals, causing issues on certain themes / plugins
* Cleanup unused scripting
* Fixed issue with unicode button name crashing style output
* Fixed issue with custom shortcode handlers
* Removed references to any Font Awesome scripts
= 7.2 =
* 'Add button'-Dialog improvements, plus all shortcode attributes now available in interface
* New shortcode attribute 'extraclass' to add extra classes
* Fixed issue where media script and modal script would interfere with each other
* Added No optimize string for Autoptimize users
* Updates to support page
* Improvements to shortcode visibility
* Tested on WordPress 4.9.6.
= 7.1.3. =
* Fixed legacy issue with social share that could crash plugin in certain cases
= 7.1.1 / 7.1.2 =
* Fixed issue when other sources call jQuery.noConfict()
= 7.1 =
* Vertical align now working
* Fixed issue with selecting buttons via SiteOrigin Page Builder
= 7.0 =
* Removed old Social Share from base plugin. Use WordPress Share Buttons ( http://wordpress.org/plugins/share-button/ )
* Upgrade to Font Awesome 5
* Added vertical-align: middle as standard property
* Streamlined plugin Ajax processes
* Fixed - Issue with button updated warning when nothing was updated.
* Fixed - Issue with shortcake integration
= 6.28 =
* Tested for 4.9.4
* Fixed issue with showing certain conditional fields
* Fixed issue in maxmodal with double init
= 6.27 =
* Tested for 4.9.2
* Security - Added rel='noopener' for links opening in new window
* Fixed missing values on a template
= 6.26.1 =
* Fixed - Advanced options
= 6.26 =
* Technical maintenance
* Tested up to 4.9.1.
= 6.25 =
* New setting for extra URL Schemes
* Small layout color picker fix
* Renamed button title to tooltip for clarity
* Rename empty font setting to 'site default' for clarity
= 6.24 =
* Social Share deprecated. For Social Sharing please check the new MaxButton Social Share addon
* New allowed link URL schemes - ms-windows-store and steam.
* Fixed Copy Color interface
* Improvements how Modals handle scrolling
* Change / Issue in MaxCSSParser which didn't allow to properly parse Pseudo CSS element which are a parent of the main anchor class.
* Improvements in editor
= 6.23 =
* Fixed font-size in color picker styling
* Adapted to changes on color picker layout ( WP 4.9 Alpha )
= 6.22 =
* Fixed bug in External CSS function and is now working again
* Enhanced visibility of 'show shortcode examples' option
= 6.21 =
* Feature - Add simple link title to buttons plus shortcode attribute linktitle
* Updated Font Awesome override to work only where needed
* Removed PHP 5.2 check for being not functional
= 6.20.2 =
* Fixed issue with window resizes in post / page editor
* Fixed issue with Shortcake integration
= 6.20.1 =
* Fix - warnings when using Origins Sitebuilder
= 6.20 =
* Big technical update and clean up of code
* Moved plugin to proper use of namespaces
* File:// now allowed for URL's
* Moved color class to mbcolor due to frequent issues with offending plugins.
* Tested for WP 4.8
= 6.19.1 =
* Button overview loading in editor screen (fixed)
= 6.19 =
* Fixed minor security issue regarding cross-site scripting (JVN#70411623). Thanks to JPCert for responsible disclosure.
* Fixed fatal error in settings function 'reset cache'
= 6.18 =
* Fixed bug where scrollbar didn't show in Add Button dialog
* Extra check for multi-byte string support
= 6.17 =
* Button load data hook added
* Fixed - Add button dialog showing scrollbars without need in certain cases
* Fixed - Minor notice in Social share when buttons are not in database
= 6.16 =
* New option for better accuracy of preview if site theme runs 'border-box'
* Fixed Install class to check and create Social share transient table
* Added check for SimpleXML module
= 6.15 =
* New setting to solve FontAwesome conflict
* Updated settings page
= 6.14 =
* Fixed small layout issue in responsive section
* Updated copy warning to be even more clear
* Added shortcode options to FAQ
= 6.13.1 =
* Fixed error message on action buttons.
= 6.13 =
* Enter on text fields now moves to the next field
* Fixed bug that could trigger action buttons in editor when using enter button
= 6.12 =
* Updated Copy / Trash / Delete interfaces
* Fixed issue with refresh page warning when removing buttons
* Fixed Social Share Facebook count
* Fixed lower save button not working in social share
* Fixed layout issue in Social Share
== Upgrade Notice ==
= 7. 0 =
Social Share has been split of into it's own plugin. Check your site if you are using this feature.
= 4.0 =
This major update includes new Social sharing features. If you run into issues please let us know via support. Experiences are also welcome!
= 3.19 =
URL handling has been changed. If you use non-usual URL's in your buttons please let us know directly if you encounter any problems.
= 3.0 =
Attention! This is a big upgrade from 2.x. Before installation it's adviced take a backup. In case your buttons don't appear after upgrading,
please try to deactivate and activate the plugin again
= 1.24.2 =
Please deactivate and then reactivate before using. If the save button does not work, be sure to clear your browser cache. Also, if the "copy and invert" button does not work, try a hard refresh of your browser or clear your cache.
This simple plugin permanently redirects all 404's to the main blog URL.
Add an SVG image captcha and honeypot to your contact form 7 form.
A light-weight plugin which will remove the advertisement HTML comments co...
Let we say that you have been told to add some custom code (HTML, JavaScrip...
WordPress, Github, Docker, Jenkins, and Watchtower. We will need to use the...
The right marketing strategies can fuel your growth and profit. Learn how t...
Advanced SEO can get very technical, however there are a few fundamentals y...