Donate link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=hcabrerab%40gmail%2ecom&lc=GB&item_name=WordPress%20Popular%20Posts%20Plugin¤cy_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG_global%2egif%3aNonHosted
Tags: popular, posts, widget, popularity, top
Requires at least: 4.7
Tested up to: 5.3.2
Requires PHP: 5.4
Stable tag: 5.0.2
License: GPLv2 or later
License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
A highly customizable, easy-to-use popular posts widget!
== Description ==
WordPress Popular Posts is a highly customizable widget that displays your most popular posts.
= Main Features =
* **Multi-widget capable** - You can have several widgets of WordPress Popular Posts on your blog, each with its own settings!
* **Time Range** - List those posts of your blog that have been the most popular ones within a specific time range (eg. last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 30 days, etc)!
* **Custom Post-type support** - Want to show other stuff than just posts and pages, eg. Popular *Products*? [You can](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/5.-FAQ#i-want-to-have-a-popular-list-of-my-custom-post-type-how-can-i-do-that)!
* **Thumbnails!** - Display a thumbnail of your posts! (*see the [FAQ section](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/5.-FAQ#how-does-wordpress-popular-posts-pick-my-posts-thumbnails) for more details*.)
* **Statistics dashboard** - See how your popular posts are doing directly from your admin area.
* **Sorting options** - Order your popular list by comments, views (default) or average views per day!
* **Custom themes** - Out of the box, WordPress Popular Posts includes some themes so you can style your popular posts list (see [Widget Themes](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/6.-Styling-the-list#themes) for more details).
* **Use your own layout!** - WPP is flexible enough to let you customize the look and feel of your popular posts! (see [customizing WPP's HTML markup](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/5.-FAQ#how-can-i-use-my-own-html-markup-with-your-plugin) and [How to style WordPress Popular Posts](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/6.-Styling-the-list) for more.)
* **Advanced caching features!** - WordPress Popular Posts includes a few options to make sure your site's performance stays as good as ever! (see [Performance](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/7.-Performance) for more details.)
* **REST API Support** - Embed your popular posts in your (web) app! (see [REST API Endpoints](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/8.-REST-API-Endpoints) for more.)
* **Disqus support** - Sort your popular posts by Disqus comments count!
* **Polylang & WPML 3.2+ support** - Show the translated version of your popular posts!
* **WordPress Multisite support** - Each site on the network can have its own popular posts list!
= Other Features =
* **Shortcode support** - Use the [wpp] shortcode to showcase your most popular posts on pages, too! For usage and instructions, please refer to the [Installation section](https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-popular-posts/#installation).
* **Template tags** - Don't feel like using widgets? No problem! You can still embed your most popular entries on your theme using the `wpp_get_mostpopular()` template tag. Additionally, the `wpp_get_views()` template tag allows you to retrieve the views count for a particular post. For usage and instructions, please refer to the [Installation section](https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-popular-posts/#installation).
* **Localization** - [Translate WPP into your own language](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/5.-FAQ#i-want-to-translate-your-plugin-into-my-language--help-you-update-a-translation-what-do-i-need-to-do).
* **[WP-PostRatings](https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-postratings/) support** - Show your visitors how your readers are rating your posts!
**WordPress Popular Posts** is now also on [GitHub](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts)!
Looking for a **Recent Posts** widget just as featured-packed as WordPress Popular Posts? **Try [Recently](https://wordpress.org/plugins/recently/)**!
== Installation ==
Please make sure your site meets the [minimum requirements](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts#requirements) before proceeding.
= Automatic installation =
1. Log in into your WordPress dashboard.
2. Go to Plugins > Add New.
3. In the "Search Plugins" field, type in **WordPress Popular Posts** and hit Enter.
4. Find the plugin in the search results list and click on the "Install Now" button.
= Manual installation =
1. Download the plugin and extract its contents.
2. Upload the `wordpress-popular-posts` folder to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory.
3. Activate the **WordPress Popular Posts** plugin through the "Plugins" menu in WordPress.
= Done! What's next? =
1. Go to Appearance > Widgets, drag and drop the **WordPress Popular Posts** widget to your sidebar. Once you're done configuring it, hit the Save button.
2. If you have a caching plugin installed on your site, flush its cache now so WPP can start tracking your site.
3. If you have a security / firewall plugin installed on your site, make sure you [allow WPP access to the REST API](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wpp-does-not-count-properly/#post-10411163) so it can start tracking your site.
4. Go to Appearance > Editor. Under "Templates", click on `header.php` and make sure that the `` tag is present (should be right before the closing `` tag).
5. (Optional but highly recommended) Are you running a medium/high traffic site? If so, it might be a good idea to check [these suggestions](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/7.-Performance) to make sure your site's performance stays up to par.
= USAGE =
WordPress Popular Posts can be used in three different ways:
1. As a [widget](https://wordpress.org/support/article/wordpress-widgets/): simply drag and drop it into your theme's sidebar and configure it.
2. As a template tag: you can place it anywhere on your theme with [`wpp_get_mostpopular()`](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/2.-Template-tags#wpp_get_mostpopular).
3. Via [shortcode](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/1.-Using-WPP-on-posts-&-pages), so you can embed it inside a post or a page.
Make sure to stop by the **[Wiki](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki)** as well, you'll find even more info there!
== Frequently Asked Questions ==
The FAQ section has been moved [here](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/wiki/5.-FAQ).
== Screenshots ==
1. The WordPress Popular Posts Widget.
2. The WordPress Popular Posts Widget on theme's sidebar.
3. Dashboard widget.
4. Statistics panel.
== Changelog ==
= 5.0.2 =
- A performance notice will be displayed for mid/high traffic sites (see [#239](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/issues/239)).
- Fixed an issue with text_title content tag not being shortened (see [#241](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/issues/241)).
- Added a link to the Debug screen to the plugin's dashboard for ease of access.
- Other minor improvements/changes.
= 5.0.1 =
**If you're using a caching plugin, flushing its cache right after installing / upgrading to this version is recommended.**
- Fixed a compatibility issue with the newly introduced [widget themes](https://cabrerahector.com/wordpress/wordpress-popular-posts-5-0-multiple-taxonomy-support-themes-thumbnail-lazy-loading-and-more/#themes) feature. If you're using a theme with your popular posts widget you'll need to reapply it for it to get the latest changes (go to Appearance > Widgets > WordPress Popular Posts, select a different theme then hit Save, finally switch back to your preferred theme and hit Save again.)
- Fixed two date related issues.
- Minor styling improvements to widget themes Cards, Cards Compact, Cardview and Cardview Compact.
- Removes bold styling from post title on the stock design (wpp.css).
- Improves data caching logic.
= 5.0.0 =
**If you're using a caching plugin, flushing its cache right after installing / upgrading to this version is required.**
- Code has been refactored to use more modern PHP practices! This will help make WordPress Popular Posts more maintainable and easier to extend.
- WordPress Popular Posts now requires PHP 5.4 or newer and WordPress 4.7 or newer.
- The `WPP_Query` class has been deprecated. Use `WordPressPopularPosts\Query` instead.
- Added ability to filter posts by multiple taxonomies (thanks [blackWhitePanda](https://github.com/blackWhitePanda)!)
- New Dashboard Widget: Trending Now.
- Added 10 new themes for the widget!
- Added ability to lazy load thumbnails (enabled by default).
- Improved support for WPML and Polylang.
- Authors and Editors can now access the Stats dashboard too!
- Fixed translation issues affecting russian and similar languages.
- New Content Tags: total_items and item_position.
- Many minor bug fixes/improvements.
[Release notes](https://cabrerahector.com/wordpress/wordpress-popular-posts-5-0-multiple-taxonomy-support-themes-thumbnail-lazy-loading-and-more/) | [Full Changelog](https://github.com/cabrerahector/wordpress-popular-posts/compare/4.2.2...5.0.0).
== Credits ==
* Flame graphic by freevector/Vecteezy.com.
== Upgrade Notice ==
= 4.1.2 =
If you're using a caching plugin, flushing its cache after upgrading to this version is recommended.
This simple plugin permanently redirects all 404's to the main blog URL.
Add an SVG image captcha and honeypot to your contact form 7 form.
A light-weight plugin which will remove the advertisement HTML comments co...
Let we say that you have been told to add some custom code (HTML, JavaScrip...
After the very last action taken in the function when a user logs in, the w...
Why do you need to manage customer information and customer interactions, a...
One method used by WordPress hackers is mass login attempts, learn how you ...
How to create tabs with HTML and jQuery. Need a tabbed view for your websit...