Contributors: RebelCode, jeangalea, markzahra, Mekku, xedin.unknown
Plugin URI: https://www.wprssaggregator.com
Tags: RSS import, RSS aggregator, feed import, content curation, feed to post
Requires at least: 4.0 or higher
Tested up to: 5.3
Requires PHP: 5.4
Stable tag: 4.17.3
WP RSS Aggregator is the original & most popular WordPress solution for importing RSS feeds, auto-blogging, content curation & aggregation.
== Description ==
WP RSS Aggregator is the original and best plugin for importing, merging and displaying RSS and Atom feeds on your WordPress site. It's the most comprehensive and elegant RSS feed importer for WordPress.
== Automatically import RSS feeds & display them on your site ==
* No limit on the number of sources to import from.
* Manage all your sources from a single page.
* No limit on the number of items to import.
* Automate each feed's import with unique or global schedules.
* Customisable [templates](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/457-templates) with various styling options.
* Built-in [shortcode](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/54-how-to-use-the-shortcode-to-display-feed-items) and [block](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/454-displaying-imported-items-block-gutenberg) to display items.
* Feed auto-discovery (add sources without the exact RSS feed URL).
* Youtube importing using just a channel or user URL.
* Playable Youtube videos directly on your site.
* Limit the items stored and fetched for better performance.
* Create a custom RSS feed from imported items.
* Extendable via action and filter hooks.
[Click here to learn more about the free WP RSS Aggregator plugin.](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/core-plugin/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_learn_more&utm_content=learn_more)
== Who is the plugin for?? ==
Importing and displaying RSS feeds is helpful for many types of sites:
* Curate news, videos and more from the top sources in your niche.
* Add related posts from other sites to your site.
* Share Youtube videos anywhere on your site.
* Curate job, real estate or other listings for your market or niche.
* Embed videos from other sources (Youtube) to engage more visitors.
* Aggregate podcast episodes related to your hobby or profession.
* Writers, display your works from multiple sites in your portfolio.
* And much more...
* [WP News Desk](http://wpnewsdesk.com/) curates WordPress news, tutorials and more from over 100 trusted sources.
* [Travel Blogger Community](http://travelbloggercommunity.com/) does something similar to share blog posts from well-known travellers.
* [Crypto Headlines](https://cryptoheadlines.com/youtube-videos/)' videos page shares Youtube videos from popular Youtubers in the Crypto world.
* [Euro Finance Blogs](https://eurofinanceblogs.com/) curates content on investment, personal finance and early retirement.
Browse through our [**Showcase**](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/showcase/) to see how WP RSS Aggregator is being put to great use on a large variety of WordPress sites.
== Attention bloggers, content marketers, site owners ==
Increase your WordPress site's credibility and popularity by importing full or partial posts, videos, and more into your site with our premium add-ons.
* Beginner Bloggers and Copywriters - Find and display fresh, new content to **engage and grow your audience**.
* Site Owners & Content Marketers - Curate content to **keep your avid readers on your site for longer**.
== SEO benefits from importing RSS feeds ==
Importing RSS feeds alone won't improve your site's SEO, however, if you curate content (articles, tutorials, videos, listings, etc) and bring in quality traffic, the benefits begin to appear:
* Generate lots of new backlinks to your site.
* Enhance your online presence and gain more trust.
* And therefore, you can help boost your SEO! [Learn more from WP Mayor.](https://wpmayor.com/3-ways-content-curation-impacts-your-sites-seo/)
*Quick note: Please don't steal other people's work; give credit where it's due.*
== Premium add-ons for additional functionality ==
WP RSS Aggregator can be extended through a set of [premium add-ons](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extensions/) that are also available as part of our discounted [pricing plans](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/pricing/).
* **[Templates](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/templates/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_f2p_link&utm_content=f2p_link)** offers premium template types including the fully customisable Grid as well as an Excerpts & Thumbnails template that take your block or shortcake displays to a whole new level!
* **[Feed to Post](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/feed-to-post/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_f2p_link&utm_content=f2p_link)** is the most powerful add-on available, enabling you to import items as Posts or any other custom post type. It includes options such as automatically assigning post type, post status, categories, tags, images, authors and much more.
* **[Full Text RSS Feeds](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/full-text-rss-feeds/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_ftr_link&utm_content=ftr_link)** takes Feed to Post to the next level by connecting it to our premium full text service. This helps bring in content from sources that don't provide it in their RSS feeds.
* **[Keyword Filtering](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/keyword-filtering/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_kf_link&utm_content=kf_link)** enables you to filter the content imported from any source based on keywords, phrases and/or tags.
* **[Categories](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/categories/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_cat_link&utm_content=cat_link)** provides a simple way to categorise your sources and keep them organised.
* **[WordAi](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/wordai/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_cat_link&utm_content=cat_link)** and **[Spinner Chief](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/spinnerchief/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_cat_link&utm_content=cat_link)** integrate the Feed to Post add-on with the respective 3rd-party content spinning services.
Here's a closer look at what the Feed to Post add-on offers:
== We stand behind what we build ==
Our comprehensive [Knowledge Base](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/) provides you with everything you need to install, set up and customise the plugin to your needs. You can also browse through a number of FAQs to get started.
If that doesn't do the trick, we provide support for the free version of WP RSS Aggregator via the support forum [here](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-rss-aggregator), while for premium support (owners of valid premium add-on licenses) and pre-sales questions please contact us via our [premium support channel](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/contact/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_contact_link&utm_content=contact_link).
Our plugin also includes a Help Beacon within your dashboard through which you can search our knowledge base or contact our team (premium users only) without ever leaving your website!
== Additional information ==
We provide a [Feed Creator](http://createfeed.wprssaggregator.com/) service that allows you to generate RSS feeds from any webpage, even if it doesn't have its own RSS feed. It provides inline documentation on how to use the service.
Our terms & conditions can be found [here](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/terms-conditions/).
== High praise from trusted WordPress leaders ==
* [WP Explorer](https://www.wpexplorer.com/wp-rss-aggregator-review/)
* [MH Themes](https://mhthemes.com/blog/create-news-aggregator-site-with-wordpress/)
* [WP Mayor](http://www.wpmayor.com/rss-feeds-review-wp-rss-aggregator/)
* [Elegant Themes](https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/tips-tricks/how-to-get-the-most-from-your-wordpress-rss-feed)
* [Kevin Muldoon](https://www.kevinmuldoon.com/wp-rss-aggregator-review/)
== Installation ==
How to install and set up the WP RSS Aggregator plugin:
> 1. Go to the Plugins page in your WordPress site's dashboard.
> 2. Click the "Add New" button.
> 3. Search for "WP RSS Aggregator".
> 4. When found, click on the "Install" button, then hit the "Activate" button once it has installed.
> 5. Go to the RSS Aggregator menu item, then set up your [feed sources](https://docs.wprssaggregator.com/adding-a-feed-source-importing-as-feed-items/), [templates](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/457-templates) and [general settings](https://docs.wprssaggregator.com/general-plugin-settings/).
> 1. Click on the "Download" button above.
> 2. Upload the wp-rss-aggregator.zip file to your site's `/wp-content/plugins/` directory via FTP.
> 3. Activate the WP RSS Aggregator plugin from the 'Plugins' section in your dashboard.
> 4. Go to the RSS Aggregator menu item, then set up your [feed sources](https://docs.wprssaggregator.com/adding-a-feed-source-importing-as-feed-items/), [templates](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/457-templates) and [general settings](https://docs.wprssaggregator.com/general-plugin-settings/).
*DISPLAYING THE FEED ITEMS*
Use the WP RSS Aggregator block or shortcode on any page or post to display the imported items.
Each block or shortcode can use any template and it can also have its own [parameters](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/54-displaying-imported-items-shortcode), such as selecting which sources to display items from, the maximum number of items to display, whether to use pagination, which page to show, and more.
Shortcode example with parameters: `[wp-rss-aggregator source="123" limit="5"]`
It is advisable to use the 'HTML' view of the editor when inserting shortcodes with parameters.
*USAGE WITHIN THEME FILES*
Here are two examples of a function call from within a theme's files:
wprss_display_feed_items( $args = array(
'limit' => '8',
'source' => '5,9'
== Frequently Asked Questions ==
= What feed sources can I import items from? =
Any source with a valid RSS or XML feed can have its feed items imported by WP RSS Aggregator. Most sites provide RSS feeds right out the box as shown [here](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/55-how-to-find-an-rss-feed). If you can't find an RSS feed, you may try to create one using [our free service](http://createfeed.wprssaggregator.com/).
- - -
= How do I display the imported feed items? =
Use the template of your choice to display imported items anywhere across your site. To show the items, you can use either one (or a combination) of the options below.
* Option 1: Use our [shortcode](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/54-displaying-imported-items-shortcode) in your posts and pages: `[wp-rss-aggregator]`
* Option 2: Use our [block](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/454-displaying-imported-items-block-gutenberg) in the Gutenberg editor (WP 5.0 and later)
* Option 3: Call the function directly within a theme: ``
- - -
= Is there a limit on the number of feed sources I can set up? =
No, there is no limit for the number of feed sources to import items from. Having many (50+) feed sources should not present any problems in itself. However, pulling in posts from many sites is bound to put your server under some stress, so you might want to consider using a hosting solution that goes beyond your typical shared host and [staggering the feed imports](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/article/200-scheduling-fetching-of-feeds-imports-for-better-performance).
Check out our dedicated page on [WordPress hosting](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/recommended-web-hosts/?utm_source=wordpress-dot-org&utm_medium=readme&utm_campaign=readme_q-and-a_hosts&utm_content=q-and-a_hosts) recommendations (includes some affiliate links).
- - -
= Does WP RSS Aggregator work using JSON as the source? =
No, our plugin does not currently import from JSON, it only imports from RSS and Atom structured XML.
- - -
= Why do I get "No feed items found" when I insert the shortcode on a page or post? =
1. Try adding a few more feed sources and make sure they are valid by using the RSS Feed Validator.
2. Make sure that feed items have been imported by visiting the Feed Items page.
3. Try out the solutions listed in our [Feed Items Not Importing](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/category/80-feed-items-or-posts-not-importing) knowledge base section.
4. It's important to make sure your WordPress cron system is working well. If not, the feeds cannot be imported. If in doubt, you can install the WP Crontrol plugin to check for [bad cron](https://docs.wprssaggregator.com/cron-intervals/#bad-cron), or go to RSS Aggregator > Debugging and hit the red button to re-import all feed items.
If the problems persist, please [contact our support team](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-rss-aggregator). If you're using a premium add-on, please use the [premium support channel](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/contact/).
- - -
= Can I store imported feed items as posts? =
Yes, you can do that using the [Feed to Post](http://www.wprssaggregator.com/extensions/feed-to-post) premium add-on. You will not only be able to store items as posts, but as any post type. You can also set the author, set tags and categories, import images into the gallery or set featured images, and much more. These can then be displayed in your theme's blog page, via a page builder, etc.
- - -
= Some RSS feeds only give a short excerpt when using the add-ons. Any way around that? =
Yes, along with the [Feed to Post](http://www.wprssaggregator.com/extensions/feed-to-post) add-on we have another add-on called [Full Text RSS Feeds](http://www.wprssaggregator.com/extension/full-text-rss-feeds/) that can get the full content of most feeds that only supply a short excerpt. The Full Text RSS Feeds add-on requires Feed to Post and a valid license key to function.
- - -
= I'm not sure which premium add-ons are right for me. Can you help me out? =
Sure! We built an [add-on finder (guide)](https://www.wprssaggregator.com/add-on-finder/) that will help determine what you need.
If you need any further help you can [contact our support team](http://www.wprssaggregator.com/contact/).
- - -
= Where can I find the documentation for the plugin? =
Our complete Knowledge Base with FAQs can be found [here](https://kb.wprssaggregator.com/).
== Screenshots ==
1. Feed items displayed using WP RSS Aggregator's templates.
2. Setting up the WP RSS Aggregator Gutenberg block.
3. Adding/Editing a feed source in WP RSS Aggregator.
4. The list of feed sources in WP RSS Aggregator.
5. The list of imported feeds items in WP RSS Aggregator.
6. Setting up a template in WP RSS Aggregator.
7. The general settings for WP RSS Aggregator.
8. Using the Feed to Post premium add-on to import items as posts.
9. Using the Feed to Post premium add-on to import Youtube videos.
== Changelog ==
= 4.17.3 (2020-01-23) =
- Updated code to fix deprecation warnings on PHP version 7.4 and later.
- Updated the Twig library to version `1.41.0` to fix deprecation warnings on PHP version 7.4 and later.
- Updated the default translation files to contain up-to-date text.
- Removed a false-positive error from the log.
- Localization in Twig templates did not work.
- When revisions are enabled, an error would prevent feed sources from being saved.
- Translations were being loaded from an invalid path.
- The default featured image in the New/Edit Feed Source page did not preview after saving the feed source.
- Missing space between the link `a` tag and the `href` attribute on PHP 7.4
= 4.17.2 (2019-12-19) =
- The error handler now includes the file and line where the error occurred.
- The obsolete "Link Source" option is now only shown when the Excerpts & Thumbnails add-on is active.
- The new "feeds" shortcode parameter only showed feed items for the first 10 feed sources.
= 4.17.1 (2019-12-12) =
- The new slug option was appearing on the edit pages for posts of all types.
= 4.17 (2019-12-11) =
- New "Tools" that replaces the "Blacklist", "Import/Export" and "Debugging" pages.
- New option to control whether items with future dates are scheduled or published with truncated dates.
- New "feeds" shortcode parameter to select feed sources by their slug names.
- New "1 week" update interval option to update feeds once every week.
- The "Edit Feed Source" page now allows the slug to be edited.
- The "Edit Feed Source" page now shows shortcode snippets.
- RSS feeds that are invalid due to leading whitespace are now trimmed and may now be imported.
- Images that have the same URL are now downloaded to the media library only once.
- Updated some styles to match the new WordPress 5.3 aesthetic.
- Optimized template saving to be more performant and less error prone.
- Improved error messages in REST API responses.
- Removed some log messages.
- Fatal errors are now always logged.
- Optimized cron-related functionality.
- The plugin will no longer register cron schedules that already exist.
- License-related notices are now only shown to users who have access to the Licenses settings page.
- The "Import Source" option did not work.
- Templates now link imported posts to the local post instead of to the original article.
- Images with HTML entities in the URL could not be downloaded.
- Feed items without a PolyLang translation did not show up in templates.
- PHP notices were triggered when trying to download invalid images.
- The feed item count in the "Feed Sources" page would show zero when certain add-ons are installed.
- Removed a warning shown in templates about `reset()` expecting an array.
- Thumbnails imported by Excerpts & Thumbnails were not shown in templates.
- Some databases would report the following error during logging: "Column 'date' cannot be null".
- Unserializing the options for the system info triggered PHP notices.
This simple plugin permanently redirects all 404's to the main blog URL.
Add an SVG image captcha and honeypot to your contact form 7 form.
A light-weight plugin which will remove the advertisement HTML comments co...
Let we say that you have been told to add some custom code (HTML, JavaScrip...
The right marketing strategies can fuel your growth and profit. Learn how t...
Backlinks are hyperlinks from one webpage to another webpage. Learn how to ...
WordPress is a popular PHP CMS, learn about some of the basic security meas...
How to create tabs with HTML and jQuery. Need a tabbed view for your websit...